Shopping Cart
0 items
About Us
Terms and Conditions
Payment Methods
Policies & FAQ's
Shipping, Returns & Cancellation
Firearms Transfer FAQs
NFA/Suppressor FAQ's
Shop Services
Contact Us
Home > Shop > NFA/Suppressor FAQ's
NFA/Suppressor FAQ's

The following information is only a guidline. Please contact us directly if you are
interested in purchasing or transfering NFA firearms.

Demon Tactical LLC
2501 Performance Court, Suite 102
Virginia Beach, Va.  23453
Phone: 757-689-4872
Fax: 757-561-2672

You can purchase from or transfer your NFA items through DEMON TACTICAL LLC.

Our NFA transfer fee is $65.00.
We also have affiliation with an attorney in Virginia Beach familiar with NFA trusts.

Are suppressors legal to own? 

Yes! Suppressors are legal for ownership by private citizens in 39 states, and by licensed dealers and manufacturers in another four states: 
Private Ownership Legal: AL, AK, AR, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MI, MO, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY. 
If you are a RESIDENT of one of the states listed above you may purchase a silencer through a licensed dealer in your home state. If you OWN a second home in one of the states listed above, you may be considered a part-time resident of that state while residing in your second home and you may be able to purchase a suppressor from a dealer in that state. Contact a dealer for additional details.
If you live in a state that is not listed above, there is no legal way for you to purchase a suppressor at all. Please don't ask us to break Federal law. No, you can't go to a legal state to make the purchase. No, you can't have a friend, or family member in another state make the purchase for you. YOU must purchase the suppressor from a dealer in your state of RESIDENCE.

Dealers & Manufacturers ONLY: CA, IA, MA and NY.

Law Enforcement Agencies: Please contact us directly for information on purchasing suppressors for your agency use.
 Do I need a license to buy or own a suppressor? 

No, a license is only required if you are a dealer or manufacturer. However, there is a registration process that is required for purchase (see next question).

What is the process to purchase a suppressor?

Step 1: Decide which suppressor you would like to purchase and contact a dealer in your area. 

Step 2: The dealer will order the suppressor (unless they already have it in stock). Demon Tactical must complete some transfer paperwork with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (BATFE) to receive permission to transfer the suppressor to us. This process usually takes about 4-5 weeks, but can take longer in some cases. 

Step 3: Once the we receive the suppressor, or if it is already in stock, you can then begin the registration and transfer process from the us to you. You will need to complete the following: 

1. BATFE Form 5320.4 ("Form 4") in duplicate 
a) Also requires that two passport sized, color photographs be affixed.
b) For individuals, this form must be signed by your local Sheriff of Police Chief. 
2. BATFE Form 5330.20 ("Citizenship Certification") in duplicate
3. FBI Fingerprint cards in duplicate
4. If you are purchasing as a Corporation, LLC, or Trust, include copies of your articles of incorporation or trust paperwork.

Step 4: Once the paperwork is completed, it is mailed to the BATFE address listed on the front of the Form 4, along with a check for $200. We recommend using a check and not a money order so that you can see when the check is cashed and start the clock ticking on your transfer. 

 Step 5: Wait... The BATFE background check and transfer process will take about 90 days to complete. It seems like a really long time. But it will be well worth it once you are quietly shooting at the range or in your backyard (where legal). 

Step 6: That glorious day will come when your dealer calls to say that your tax stamp is back from the BATFE. Head on over, bring your gun and ammo and head for the range. *Be sure to read your owner's manual before pulling the trigger that first time (our lawyers make us say that...)

 What is the $200 Transfer tax about? 

The short story is: Since 1934, the US Government has required a $200 transfer tax to be paid on any machine gun, short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, destructive device, and silencer. The tax was instituted by Congress essentially as a de facto ban on NFA Firearms. It was their hope that such a prohibitively expensive tax on such weapons would make them unobtainable for the average person. They also did not want to outright ban such weapons and cause bloodshed in an attempt to confiscate such weapons from their owners (hence the requirement for registration). As the tax has never been adjusted to keep pace with inflation, it is now more of a "nuisance tax" than a real barrier to owning NFA weapons. 

Yes, unfortunately you have to pay it... no two ways about it. Everyone you've ever met that has a silencer has paid it. As we say, "You've gotta pay to play!" And just remember, $200 was a whole lot more back in 1934. 

The long story - if you like to read: 

What is a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) Sign-off? 

When the National Firearms Act was enacted in 1934, there was no National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), etc. So, when transferring an NFA item, it required the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the applicant’s jurisdiction to certify that he (or she) was not the town bad-guy or town drunk. This is a legacy policy that is left-over within the BATFE's requirements that must still be completed today to purchase an NFA Firearm. 

If you live in an area where your CLEO will not sign your form you still have options. Contact your local dealer and they should be able to tell you whether the local CLEO will sign your form or not. If not, see below. 

What is the procedure to purchase as a Corporation or Trust? 

Currently, the BATFE will allow registration of NFA firearms to a corporation (including non-profit, or LLC), as well as trusts (used for estate planning). At this time, registering an NFA firearm to a corporation or trust also bypasses the requirement for a CLEO signoff. We recommends contacting a qualified attorney to advise you on legal requirements and ramifications of forming a corporation or trust in your state. For many, this is a way to legally own NFA firearms in some areas. 

Additional info:
 Can I purchase a Suppressor or NFA Firearm directly from Demon Tactical?

Yes, If you are an individual and you wish to purchase a suppressor or NFA Firearm directly from Demon Tactical LLC please contact us directly


Copyright 2015 Outdoor Business Network | Powered by OBN | Privacy

All trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade dress, product names and logos appearing on the site are the property of their respective owners, including: GLOCKŪ